For Instance, an account namely AP could connect to a contact Mr.George as an employee(connection role).
In a connection, One record is related to another record based on a connection role.
A Connection always provides 2 options for us.
1. To Another (To another enitity record)
2. To Me (To the logged in User)
How could we establish connection from Main Page:
But the Connection button gets disabled if more than one records were selected.
How could we establish connection from Entity form:
Its possible to view all exisiting connections of a particular record by clicking on the 'Connections' left navigation item.
The key players of 'Connections' feature are 2 entities.
1. Connection Entity ( Can be customized)-Relationship between two entities.
2. Connection Role Entity( Can NOT be customized) -Role describing a relationship between a two records.
Connection Role is the key element of a Connection which makes it meaningful.
How could we configure a Connection Role in CRM 2011:
Configuring a Connection Role in CRM 2011 involves 3 steps.
1. Describe Connection Role-- This includes defining new name for the connection role and choosing a connection role category.
2. Select record types
3.Choose mathing Role (Optional)-- This is a kind of intellisense
For instance, If you choose Role (To) in a Connection then CRM will automatically populate the Connection Role (From) if a matching role already defined.
So lets create a Connection based on the configured Connection role.
Here we go !
How to enable Connections at Entity Level in CRM 2011:
When you create an entity, you could decide enable/ disable Connections with the following setting.